Uncover The Components Of VILT In 2021
How the elements of VILT can help your organization
There are a few key elements in VILT that can make the difference between the success and failure of your learning scheme.
eLearning trends 2021: A look out of the trenches
Discover 5 eLearning trends adopted by high performing organizations that you should adopt to become an impact maker.
VILTs have proven to be a blessing during the pandemic, and their use will only increase if they give learners the benefit of face-to-face human interaction, minus the logistics associated with the stationary classroom.
From ILT to VILT
Instructor-Led training can be conducted within a classroom or remotely via a virtual classroom. In this case it is called Virtual Instructor-Led Training. Instructors and learners are in different locations and a classroom environment is replicated using online tools. This type of training can be performed synchronously or asynchronously.
Instructor-Led training can also be combined with eLearning in a blended learning scenario for maximum effectiveness. In this case, part of the training is offered live, while online courses serve as a refresher between sessions. A growing type of blended learning is known as the mirrored classroom model, where students get information by viewing lectures online and then doing problem solving, discussions, and group activities in class.
Classroom training can also be enhanced by a number of collaboration technologies and tools such as video software and systems to access content during the classroom.
Finally, the instructor-led back office management for training courses can be optimized through special software that streamlines all processes (scheduling, logistics, cost and budget management, administration, reporting, etc.) like a training management system. In this way, training organizations can improve the efficiency of their VILT and optimize their training budget.
2 elements of VILT
Content and technology are crucial elements of VILT. While content must be designed for the virtual space, the technology must support the necessary collaboration.
Content is the first of the VILT elements. Whether you’re using existing content or building a new VILT program from scratch, here are some educational materials you will need:
- Moderator leader
- Participant manuals and handouts
- Reference material
- An introductory “Getting Started” webinar with hands-on exercises
Technology is the second of the VILT elements. Your choice of technology platform determines the type of collaboration activities you can conduct.
Decisions to be made
Getting started with VILT requires careful planning and brainstorming with all stakeholders involved to answer the following questions:
- Should you go for a mixed curriculum?
- Should you just focus on ILT to VILT?
- Should the ILT content be expanded or compressed?
- How much of the existing content needs to be updated or revised?
- What modalities (polls, chat, annotations, workbook activities) would you like to use for activities?
- How are you going to pass the instructions for the breakout room?
- What kind of surveys will you send?
Recommended course of action
- Scope of your conversion project to organize the ILT content into suitable sections for eLearning or VILT.
- Think about whether content can be consolidated / misused as work aids or reference material.
- Run a pilot for information on how to improve the materials and activities.
- Look for a provider with a background in ILT and VILT.
Beyond the basic elements of VILT
Would you like to discover more eLearning trends in 2021? Download the eBook eLearning Trends 2021: A Look Out of the Trenches.
Working with multiple outsourcing providers can be stressful and a waste of time and money. With CommLab India, all of your online training needs will be met quickly and economically.